Teen Read Week(TRW) 2013 is so OVER. But, mark your calendars for next year’s TRW: October 12-18, 2014. Meantime, check out the Teens’ Top Ten WINNERS elsewhere on this page and watch for the 2014 nominees here and in the Teen Room to read and vote on next summer. Youth Services Librarian, Ron Fowler, attempts to purchase them all for you to read!
TRW is a time to celebrate reading for fun while encouraging you to take advantage of reading in all its forms —books, magazines, e-books, audiobooks and more!
You could celebrate by:
- Visiting the public or school library to attend a program* (SEE BELOW!) or to check out books.
- Get your family to set aside time each night for the family to read.
- Ask for books or magazine subscriptions for rewards or gifts.
- Share your favorite book with your parents.
- VOTE for your favorite Teens Top Ten book (See below!).
- Go online with your to learn about new books or authors. A good place to start is YALSA’s Booklists and Book Awards page, www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists.
- Help form a book discussion group at school or your Petoskey District Library (See Julianne or Ron).
- Sign up to be a LitPick teen reviewer (see below)
Teen Read Week™ is a national adolescent literacy initiative created by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association. It is held annually during the third week of October. For more information, visit www.ala.org/teenread.
*Party with the Unknown @ Your PDL!
- Wear a costume of your favorite book character!
- Door Prizes! Madlibs! Cartooning!
- And the famous (or infamous?) game “Who Do You Think You Are?”
- Of course, there will be food!
Date: Wednesday, October 16th
Time: 5-6:30 pm (ish)
Where: Program Room
You may also STILL vote for your favorite book from this year’s list of Teen Top Ten nominees through the end of Teen Read Week here.
The week of Oct 21st, YALSA will announce this year’s Teens’ Top Ten list, as chosen by teens via an online vote at the end of the summer. Check www.ala.org/teenstopten for the announcement.