Teen Read Week™ is a national adolescent literacy initiative created by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association. It is held annually during the third week of October. For more information, visit www.ala.org/teenread. TRW is a time to celebrate reading for fun while encouraging you to take advantage of reading in all its forms —books, magazines, e-books, audiobooks and more!
Watch this page & our events calendar for some TRW actvities. Or……
You could celebrate by:
- Visiting the public or school library to attend a program* (SEE BELOW!) or to check out books.
- Get your family to set aside time each night for the family to read.
- Ask for books or magazine subscriptions for rewards or gifts.
- Share your favorite book with your parents.
- VOTE for your favorite Teens Top Ten book (See below!).
- Go online with your to learn about new books or authors. A good place to start is YALSA’s Booklists and Book Awards page, www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists.
- Help form a book discussion group at school or your Petoskey District Library (See Julianne or Ron).
- Sign up to be a LitPick teen reviewer.
You could start your personal celebration of TRW early by reading and voting for TEEN’S TOP TEN books You may vote here now through October 20. There are also ratings and reviews! If you would like to find out more about the titles BEFORE you pick one to read, the teen reading groups that participated in the nominations of these 25 titles have produced book trailers for all 25 titles! They are pretty cool and you may view them at: https://www.youtube.com/user/YALSA1957/videos.