The Petoskey District Library (PDL) Chess Gang’s final chess championship for the 2012/13school year was held on May 18 from 12:30-4:30. There were ten participants of which eight are pictured.
They are, left to right: Emily Dudd, Brendon Egolf, Alex Bemben, Asa Gold, Christian Duran, Nate Wurster, Christopher Gauthier, Ben Gauthier. Not pictured: Caleb Gomez, Blake Thomas.
- Christian Duran took first place with 4 points (2 draws and 3 wins).
- Asa Gold and Alex Bemben tied for second at 3-1/2 points.
- Emily Dudd took third place scoring an upset over Asa Gold in Round 4.
- Christopher Gauthier took fourth place.
- Tied for fifth place were Brendon Egolf and Ben Gauthier.
- Tied for sixth place were Blake Thomas and Nathaniel Wurster. Caleb Gomez completed
Pairings were based on our new ‘Petoskey ratings’ which in turn are based on results of the previous two tournaments at the Carnegie. The PDL provided certificates to all participants.
The competition was keen, and the field was strong. 6 of the 10 players had competed in at least one large scholastic tournament in Lansing this past year. Everyone was following our big scoreboard intently from round to round. Every game was well played by each participant with much thought going into tactics and strategy.
The Rocking Horse Toy Company donated the grand prize of a beautiful wooden chess set which all the participants had their eye on. We are grateful to all our sponsors: Horizon Books, McLean and Eakin, Kalamazoo Corner Store, The Bob-In Again, Oleson’s and Rocking Horse.