The US-31 reconstruction and realignment project in Petoskey is underway, requiring detours until late June. Library visitors can still find street parking on Mitchell, but remember Woodland Ave. and Michigan St. have parking too. Please read below for more information and a tentative detour schedule.
April 1–July 4
Work will begin between Winter Park Lane and the Mitchell Street Bridge. There will be no access to downtown from Lewis Street.
- Northbound US 31 will be detoured on to E. Mitchell, Division Street, Arlington Avenue, and MacDonald Drive.
- There will be a stop sign placed on E. Mitchell for westbound traffic at Division Street to keep trunk-line traffic flow.
- The stops signs for the trunk-line traffic on Division and Arlington at E. Lake Street, Bay Street, Winter Park Lane and MacDonald Drive will be bagged to keep traffic flow.
- There will be no left turns posted from Division Street onto E. Mitchell Street, and from E. Mitchell Street onto Waukazoo Avenue.
- Southbound US 31 traffic will be able to access downtown at all times by way of East Lake Street or East Mitchell Street depending on construction phasing.
- Westbound E. Mitchell traffic will be routed to Petoskey Street and E. Lake Street while the Mitchell Street intersection is reconstructed.
- Southbound US 31 traffic will be detoured onto W. Lake Street and Ingalls Avenue.
The goal with these detours is to have two-way highway traffic return no later than July 4th.
During the detours, Mitchell Street on-street parking will remain, but there may be some parking restrictions on Division Street to assist turning movements. Downtown will be accessible from US 31 at E. Lake or E. Mitchell the entirety of the construction. Mi Drive project link: https://bit.ly/2HnqZDc.