Who may have a library card?

If you live or own property in the Library’s service area (see below) you are eligible for a card from the Petoskey District Library.

  • City of Petoskey
  • Bear Creek Township
  • Little Traverse Township
  • Resort Township
  • Springvale Township

To verify your address is within our service area, click here and enter your street address in the search box. Click on your result and your township will be listed as “Unit” in the “General Information for Tax Year” tab.

What about people who are under 13?

For patrons twelve years of age and under, a parent or legal guardian must show proof of residency within the district and sign the minor’s library card application. If the parent or legal guardian has their own Petoskey District Library card, said card must be in good standing (not barred or blocked) in order to sign for a minor’s card. At that time the legal guardian also authorizes or does not authorize internet access for that person.

In our Library, all materials are available to people regardless of age. We believe that the family makes decisions about what is appropriate for children, not an outside authority. For more information about library service to minors, see our Access to Library Material Policy.

What kind of ID must I present to get a card?

To get a card, you must bring one of the following items showing your current residence (street address) to the circulation desk when you apply for your card. We would ask that you show proof of address and pick up your physical card within one month. You may print and/or fill out a library card application in advance by clicking hereOr, you can fill out our online library card form and if you’re eligible we would ask that you show proof of address and pick up your physical card within one month. 

  • MI driver’s license or ID card (Secretary of State)
  • Voter registration card
  • Property deed
  • Current property tax receipt (Emmet County Clerks Office)
  • Latest rent receipt
  • Current telephone/utility bill or recent item of mail
  • Automobile registration
  • Checkbook with your name and address imprinted
  • Name and address listed in a current phonebook
  • Library postcard to verify address – available upon request at the circulation desk
  • A student report card or school ID (or complete this form)

What if I live outside your service area?

If you have a card from any of the consortium/reciprocal libraries listed below you can use it at the Petoskey District Library.  Likewise, a Petoskey District Library card can be used at any of the libraries listed below.

    • Alcona County Library
    • Beaver Island District Library*
    • Boyne District Library
    • Charlevoix Public Library
    • Cheboygan Public Library
    • Crooked Tree District Library
    • Elk Rapids District Library*
    • Indian River Area Library*
    • Interlochen Public Library*
    • Kalkaska County Library*
    • Mackinaw Area Library
    • Montmorency County Library
    • Oscoda County Library*
    • Otsego County Libraries*
    • Presque Isle District Library
    • Suttons Bay District Library*
    • Tahquamenon Area Library
    • Traverse Area District Library*
    • Wolverine Community Library*
*Cardholders from these libraries must present proof of address and their library card at the circulation desk in order to register.

Nonresident Cards

Education Card: Any student who attends school within the City of Petoskey or the township of Bear Creek, Little Traverse, Resort, or Springvale will be offered a one-year, non‐resident card at no charge. This includes all Petoskey Public Schools, Concord Academy, Harbor Light, Lakeview Academy, Montessori, NCMC, St. Francis, St. Michael’s Academy, Seventh Day Adventist School, and Taylor School.

  • Students 13 and older must visit the library and show proof of address and proof of matriculation.
  • Students twelve and under must visit the library with a parent or guardian who must show proof of address and proof of matriculation.
  • Education Cards are active for one year.
  • To renew an Education Card, the student should bring in current proof of matriculation to update the card for another school year.
Employee Card: People employed within the City of Petoskey or the township of Bear Creek, Little Traverse, Resort, or Springvale, who are not eligible for a consortium or reciprocal card (see list above), will be offered a one year, non‐resident card at no charge.
  • The patron must visit the library and show proof of address and proof of employment with a current (within the past month) pay‐check stub.
  • Employee Cards expire one year from the issue date.
  • To renew an Employee Card, the patron must visit the library and bring proof of continued employment in the district with a current (within the past month) pay‐check stub.
Nonresident Card: If a patron would like borrowing privileges but does not meet the criteria above, a non‐resident card may be purchased.
  • A yearly card is available for $95.00; a six-month card is available for $50, and a 3‐month card is available for $25.00.
  • NonRes cards will expire either one year, six months, or three months from the issue date.
  • To renew a NonRes Card, the patron must update contact information and pay an additional fee either in person or over the phone.

Many people who are here just for the summer or would like their children to participate in our summer reading club, buy a quarterly card. This card can be used for all library services including interlibrary loans.

How can I renew my card?

If your library card has recently expired, or will soon expire please call 231.758.3111, or request a renewal using this form.

How else can I use my card besides to check out materials?

You can use your library card to access your account online via our webpage and online catalog at www.petoskeylibrary.org. This allows you to reserve items (holds) from anywhere within our consortium via our webpage and online catalog. It also allows you to borrow items through MeLCat the statewide database.

You can use any of our internet computers by simply entering your library card and password/personal identification number (PIN). NOTE: It is important to request a password/PIN to allow you access to our computers and online database. You can obtain a password/PIN from the circulation department in person or simply call us at 231-758-3111.

What if I lose my card?

The first lost card is replaced for free, after that replacements are $2.00 each. It is important to have your library card when you visit the library so you can continue to enjoy the full services the library has to offer.

How many items can I check out with my library card?

At the circulation desk, we like to tell our patrons “as many items as you want to be responsible for” . . . It’s a personal decision based on your own ability to use and keep track of materials.

How long can I keep my library materials?

Books, AudioBooks, and CDs: 3 weeks
New Fiction Books: 2 weeks
Lucky Day Books: one week, no renewals, no holds
Book Club Kits:  6 weeks
DVDs: 1 week
Magazines (except current issue which does not circulate): 3 weeks
Kindle eReaders: 3 weeks
Wifi Hotspots:  1 week
Ukuleles: 1 week

Thank you for visiting and enjoying our library!